Image Map

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ta da!!



So my desk is finally completely dry and moved into its (temporary) new home. While Chris and I are staying with Mom I'm taking over the upstairs guest bedroom to use as my study/office.

I got the desk off of craigslist for $25. It was antiqued red with old black handles.

We took off all the hardware, cleaned off the cobwebs and sanded it down. Red dust was EVERYWHERE!! What a mess. I was leaving red fingerprints all over the place for days! Here are the old handles. You can kind of see the antiqued detail that we had not sanded off yet.

In total it took two coats of primer and two coats of paint. I think in the future I will use spray paint primer. Priming took a whole night in itself. Anyone who knows me knows I am NOT a fan of painting. I think it turned out awesome though! The white paint with black hardware will match the corner desk I already have. Once we move into a house my study will be painted a much different color than what Mom has. I think the desk will look even better then. I love how the bottom drawer looks like two drawers but is just one large one. That will be a nice storage spot for paper and binders. Too bad the desk will NEVER look this nice again. Next time you see it I will probably have it covered with books and papers. *SIGH*
Below is a chair I got from The Pink Porch in Columbia. It was originally an off-white color that was kind of boring. I spray painted it an aqua blue color and distressed it a little bit. I love it now!! The pictures on here don't portray it's true color very well.
I got this picture frame at a yard sale for 25 cents. It was also a creamy color. Although I actually liked the way the frame looked, I thought the cream might clash with the white desk so I spray painted it the same color as my chair. Once it dried I ran over it with some sand paper and I think it looks awesome. I'll put a photo in it eventually.
This is an awesome painting I got from Pier 1 Imports. I had been eyeballing it in New York and couldn't wait to buy it when we got home. The picture makes it look strange in color, but in person it is much more vibrant. I'm on a big purple kick right now so I adore this painting!!
Below is the telephone talbe we got for $2 at a yardsale. Chris helped me put it all back together. All I have to do now is decide what color I want to paint it. I think I am going to antique this one when it is done. I think it will look awesome!

So that is what I've been doing for the past week. I just picked up an awesome dresser this afternoon for $20. It is a nine-drawer solid wood hunk of a dresser. My sister-in-law and I are going to fix it up over the next few weekends. I think it will look awesome when it is done. I'll probably want to keep it for myself! = ) Too bad I don't have more time before school starts to work on more projects!













4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I have a few pieces of furniture I'm trying to find time to reburbish. Great job on yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome!! I always thought it would be fun to do that but I don't think my taste is very good.

    ReplyDelete